Delicious and easy Tri-Tip Sliders are a real crowd pleaser. Juicy beef, peppery arugula and sweet onions. They go together in no time with impressive results!
So, I decided to make beef for dinner. I wanted to prepare Tri-Tip Sliders with Caramelized Onions and Sriracha Aioli Sauce. I run to Costco to pick up a Tri-Tip, and low and behold, no Tri-Tips anywhere. I look all over the place, nothing. OK, they must be somewhere different in the Virginia Costco. I decide to get some assistance from the Meat Guy (I love saying that, Meat Guy ha-ha). He doesn’t know, so he gets the Meat Manager. Well, turns out in this Virginia Costco they don’t carry them. What? This is definitely one of the differences between here and California. They are in every Costco back there. It is a staple item, just like 10-gallon vats of olive oil. Oh well, I love a challenge.
I tell Brandon that the Costco doesn’t carry them, and he is also surprised. Luckily he knows of a wonderful Butcher Shop and even though the Meat Guy had to go in back to find this cut of beef, it turned out to be the best Tri-Tip that I have ever tasted. We are back in business friends!
These Sliders are perfect with a few leaves of arugula, some Caramelized Onions and a Sriracha Aioli Sauce. You get the peppery taste from the arugula offset by the slight sweetness of the sauce and the mellow onions. This recipe is a crowd favorite, and can be assembled easily ahead of time. So, if you live near me and you aren’t able to find Tri-Tip at your Costco, you can always get some steak and slice it up. Just ask your Meat Guy for recommendations.
- 2-3 pound Tri-Tip steak, using all the following ingredients for the rub; then cooked, cooled and sliced.
- Rub Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoon Trader Joe’s BBQ rub & seasoning with coffee and garlic
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- For Caramelized Onions:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced paper thin (about 4 cups)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small slider rolls
- 1 bunch arugula, washed, dried, and torn
- Sriracha Aioli Sauce
- Mix the rub ingredients together in a bowl. Place the roast in a baking pan with an edge because the rub is going to be sprinkled all over the meat, including the sides. Massage it into the meat. Cover and let sit at room temperature for an hour. Cook, cool and slice thin.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat until just foaming.
- Add the onions and let them cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, remove from pan and let cool.
- Toast the slider buns. Set oven to broil. Place slider buns on a baking sheet, separating the buns so that they are open-faced upwards. Broil until light and toasty only 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully!
- Assemble the sliders by spreading the Sriracha Aioli Sauce on each bun, add Tri-Tip meat, then a few arugula leaves and some caramelized onions.
Check out these FANTASTIC Summer Recipes, Decorations and Entertaining Ideas!
Also please try our AMAZING Rustic Ribeye on Ciabatta!