Your whole family will love this layered beefy, cheesy, spice-packed Taco Plate Casserole with all your favorite zesty flavors. From crumbled tortilla chips topped with taco meat and a refried bean mixture, it’s a Mexican Fiesta in a pan!
Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May is almost here! Arriba and other exclamations of pleasure and elation! It is my excuse this week for craving Mexican food. I try to come up with a reason to eat it every week. So, the celebration of the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla is the perfect justification to honor their culture and heritage with a great tasting Taco Plate Casserole.
I really had a yearning for a cheesy comforting casserole that was easy to make during the week. This Taco Plate Casserole combines your favorite ingredients into one delicious baked dish. It is prepared with several layers of corn tortillas, spice-packed beef, seasoned chorizo sausage, crumbled tortilla chips, zesty salsa and will have your family raving and coming back for more.
And let’s not forget the petite tomato pieces with chilies and creamy refried beans. Just serve it with our Mexican Caesar Salad for a perfect busy school night dinner. I promise you this south-of-the-border entrée will hit the spot. It’s a real crowd pleaser and reheats beautifully for a tasty snack. That is, of course, if there are any leftovers!
Well, thanks for stopping by, but I better go…I have to work on a reason for wanting Parmesan Street Tacos next week. Adios!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ packet (1.25 oz) taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 (12 oz) package corn tortillas
- 1 (10 oz) bag tortilla chips, crumbled
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 oz) jar Salsa or pico de gallo
- Sour cream and chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground beef, chorizo and chopped onion.
- Drain any fat and add the taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir well to combine.
- Add the refried beans, tomatoes, soup and olives; mix well and heat thoroughly.
- Spray a 9 x 13” dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Reserve 2 cups of the meat mixture for the top of the casserole. Set aside.
- Layer half the corn tortillas on the bottom. Then make a layer with half of the remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle one cup of the cheese on top and half of the crumbled tortilla chips. Repeat another layer of tortillas, meat, cheese and chips. Finish with the 2 cups of reserved meat mixture and the remaining 2 cups of cheese on top. Pour the salsa over the top and bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and chopped green onions, if desired.