Spring M&M Cookies are a light, buttery springtime cookie that can be made ahead and will absolutely melt in your mouth. Kids love to help decorate them!
It’s hard to believe that Easter is already approaching this year! I would love to know what your Holiday traditions are. When I was growing up, I always awoke on Easter morning to find an Easter Basket at the foot of my bed. The Easter Bunny would leave it for me the night before so I could start my day off right. I continually got so excited the night before; I could hardly close my eyes. Oh man, those were the days! And, let’s not forget the Easter egg hunt that always took place at my Nana’s backyard. She was somewhat of a Gardening Goddess and had the most beautiful flowers and trees that I have ever seen (see the picture below of what it looked like to me, even though this garden is in the Netherlands haha).
Anyway, the yard was divided in half, my side and my brother Scott’s side; we ran as fast as our little legs would carry us. Then when our baskets could not possibly hold anymore, we would dump out all of our chocolate rabbits and pastel colored goodies to decide which piece to eat first. I love these Spring M&M Cookies because they remind me so much of those days gone by. This recipe makes cookies that are so soft and buttery; they just melt in your mouth!
Another great thing about these little chocolate candy darlings is the quick and easy fail-safe dough. It goes together in no time, and always turns out perfectly. It is the cornstarch that makes Spring M&M Cookies bake up super soft. They are light, airy, tender, crumbly cookies with a slightly chewy edge. And just when you think there are too many M&M’s being stirred into the dough…. think again. They are the perfect accompaniment to the creamy cookie. You’ll swoon when you bite into that crunchy pastel colored warm gooey chocolate shell. It really is the best cookie! Hey, I may leave a plate of them for the Easter Bunny tonight when he drops off my basket. If only!
And for a REALLY FUN festive cookie, please try our Spring Chicken Cookies soon!
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Easter milk chocolate M&Ms
- ⅛ cup pastel sprinkles
- M&M’s Eggs, if desired
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer for 7 minutes (or 5 minutes with a stand mixer and paddle attachment).
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Fold in the milk chocolate M&Ms. Grab a large plate and using a medium 2” cookie scoop, form mounds onto the plate. Flatten the mounds slightly with your palm. Sprinkle the pastel sprinkles on top and if you are also using the M&M eggs, place a couple on each cookie top.
- Cover the cookie sheet with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours (or up to 5 days). If you don’t refrigerate them, the warm dough will spread out like crazy.
- When you are ready to bake, take the cookies out of the refrigerator for 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with a Silpat non-stick baking mat or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place the cookies 2 inches apart (8 cookies per sheet) and bake for 8 minutes or until the edges have set and the tops are just beginning to set (they may still look pale and glossy in the center). Do not over bake. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!