Spring Chicken Cookies are sweet, simple and scrumptious! With only a few ingredients, you’ll be enjoying these festive citrusy cookies minutes later.
I just love darling little Easter cookies. Problem is I don’t have a lot of time right now to make really fancy cookies that look like Faberge Eggs. But, I am able to press a couple candies on a cookie and give myself a BIG giggle. Spring Chicken Cookies will surely entertain your family too!
These silly little Chick Cookies are actually VERY tasty. They taste like spring to me. You get the tangy sensation of citrusy orange in every bite. They’re very light and fluffy, but pack a lot of flavor! Between the sweet buttercream vanilla frosting and the little crunch from the candy, it all adds up to pure paradise. It only requires an Orangesicle cake mix and a few other ingredients, and it’s ready for the little darlings in under a half hour. This is also the perfect cookie to take for Easter dinner. Why, because Big Kids love them too. Who knew something so easy could make everybody so happy? They are delicious and amusing all at the same time. So why not try these fun loving Spring Chicken Cookies. I can almost hear the laughter from your kitchen right now!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix together the cake mix, shortening, orange extract and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Using your hands, roll cookie dough into balls about 1½“ diameter (the size of large melon balls).
- Place on a greased cookie sheet or use a Silpat baking mat.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until the edges just begin to turn brown.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet before frosting.
- To make the frosting, empty the can of vanilla frosting into a bowl and add the yellow food coloring. Mix well. Frost each cookie generously with the yellow icing.
- To make the orange beak, take an orange mini Starburst and cut it on the diagonal most of the way through. Fold candy back up to form a beak. Place it in the middle of the cookie and then add the candy eyes above it. I used other mini Starburst cut in half for the top of the chicken’s head.
And for another GREAT springtime cookie, please try our Spring M&M Cookies!