Skillet Breakfast Pizza will change up your normal, boring, morning routine with this hot and crispy homemade pizza that is oozing with cheesy bacon yumminess. Plus, it’s low in calories!
Ok, I know what you’re thinking. Skillet Breakfast Pizza first thing in the morning? Really? Yes, Really! You have to give this scrumptious and simple recipe a try! I mean, who doesn’t love pizza? And, this calorie friendly dish will take away anyone’s guilt.
When I first saw this recipe in Cooking Light magazine which featured recipes under 300-calories, I just knew I had to make it. Every once in awhile I think it’s important to do something a “little special” on the weekends for friends and family. Well I must tell you, that THIS is the dish that will positively accomplish that event. Kids absolutely love this tasty and mouthwatering cast-iron skillet dish. They are SO excited to be having pizza in the morning!
This Skillet Breakfast Pizza is warm and chewy from the golden yeasty crust and extremely creamy from the flavored ricotta cheese and stringy mozzarella cheese. And, let’s not forget the savory bacon! It adds the perfect amount of saltiness to the dish. I added some grilled onions on top, because they give you tons of flavor. And as for the baby spinach… Popeye was definitely on to something. It gives you visually a beautiful contracting emerald color, plus, tons of nutrients, iron, vitamins and minerals. I mean, who can ask for more after you first wake up?
If you’re feeling completely adventurous, please feel free to experiment by adding eggs to the top of the dish. I cooked the egg in a pan and then just slid it on at the very last minute. It was really yummy when you cut into the egg and the yolk ran all over the pizza top. This Skillet Breakfast Pizza is just one more way to start your morning off with a huge smile on your face, and you don’t even have to tip the delivery man!
- 1 (16-ounce) package commercial refrigerated pizza dough (I used Trader Joe’s)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil, optional
- ½ onion, sliced thin, optional
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 lower-sodium bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the onion slices and stir for 7-8 minutes, until translucent and just starting to caramelize. Remove the pan and put the onions into a small bowl. Turn up the heat on the stove to high.
- Roll out dough to a 12-inch circle and press into the bottom and 1 inch up sides of a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Fold the edges of the dough under and crimp like a pie.
- Mix ricotta cheese and garlic powder together and spread in the bottom of the crust. Top with bacon, onion, mozzarella cheese and pepper. Place skillet over high heat on the cooktop and cook 3 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake at 450°F for 18 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese has melted.
- While pizza cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute or until the spinach wilts (stir frequently). Remove spinach onto paper towels to absorb any excess moisture.
- Remove pizza from oven when done and top with the spinach. Cut pizza into 8 wedges.
Note: The 8 slices they recommend are small. If you have a large group, plan on making 2 of them. I promise there won't be any leftovers!
For the other side of the spectrum, please try our fantastic Recipe for The Manliest Breakfast Burger!
Please Check Out our 22 Clever, FUN and Cool Kitchen Gadgets for Foodies that will make the perfect kitchen gifts! Most are priced under $15.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.