Savory Irish Soda Bread Pudding is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Bursting with sweet brown bread, crumbled pork sausage and sharp cheddar, it’s a great main course that your family will adore!
My beautiful friend Bibi introduced me to this incredibly rich bread called Irish Soda Bread many years ago. I absolutely fell in love with it because it’s somewhat sweet, dense and wonderfully rustic. Since I now live on the other side of the country, thoughtful Bibi recently sent me some of this delightful bread from our favorite bakery. Oh my goodness, I could hardly wait to toast this brown bread, complete with raisins and orange zest, and slather it with butter. It is heavenly and goes perfect with a cup of Irish Breakfast Tea.
So, because she generously sent me a couple loaves, I decided to try making this yummy goodness into a Savory Irish Soda Bread Pudding. I thought it would go great with sweet pork sausage, sautéed onion and sharp cheddar cheese. Combine that with a fluffy egg custard, and it should be a magnificent dish. Well, it did not disappoint. It was absolutely amazing!
This rich, custard-like stuffing is the perfect effortless recipe for St. Patrick’s Day, or any other day for that matter. The best part is you can serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And, how is this for convenient…this pudding can be assembled up to a day ahead. You can prepare it in a baking dish or in individual ramekins, which give them a dressier feel and shorten the cooking time. Whichever way you choose to make them, your family will love this irresistible Savory Irish Soda Bread Pudding. Happy Cooking!
May your troubles be less
and your Blessings be More,
and nothing but Happiness come through your door.
- 2-5” ramekins
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices of day old Irish soda bread, chopped into 1” cubes
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 pork sausage patties, cooked and chopped
- ½ onion, chopped and sautéed
- 5 eggs
- 1¼ cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped for the top
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the ramekins with the softened butter and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Irish soda bread, cheddar cheese, sausage and onion.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, sugar and Parmesan cheese. Pour the egg mixture into the bread mixture and combine thoroughly. Let rest for 10 minutes (you can also refrigerate overnight).
- Spread the mixture evenly between the ramekins and bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed, golden brown and custard is set. Sprinkle with the green onion on top and serve immediately.
For other great breakfast ideas, please try our Skillet Breakfast Pizza, Sweetheart Breakfast Scramble or The Manliest Breakfast Burger, to name a few!