This caramelized Roasted Honey Cinnamon Acorn Squash is deliciously drizzled with honey-cinnamon, then sprinkled with creamy crumbled blue cheese, sliced green onions and crunchy smoked almonds. You just have to try this fantastic flavor combination. Who knew how crazy good this winter vegetable could be?
What I love about being a foodie is developing and discovering new, exciting, GREAT tasting recipes everyday. I am so happy to tell you about this incredible Roasted Honey Cinnamon Acorn Squash! It is absolutely delicious and nutritious. Bring on this neglected winter squash please!
I have passed this lonely acorn squash in the grocery store many, many times. Who knew this vegetable was so darn tasty! I truly had no idea what I was missing! I would walk on by and always pick up the more popular butternut squash. Well that stops now! I just had to learn more about this hardy vegetable.
Acorn squash is relatively small in size, typically weighing between one and two pounds, with orange-yellow flesh and a thick, dark green and orange skin. It has a firm exterior (which is edible), so you should be very careful when cutting it open. When you buy acorn squash, it should be free from soft spots and blemishes, and feel heavy for its size. Always store them in a cool, dry place and they’ll keep for at least one month.
Acorn squash is also a very good source of vitamin A, dietary fiber, niacin, folate, thiamine and vitamin B-6, but is an especially good source of vitamin C, which is one of the best ways to boost your immune system. And, like most varieties of winter squash, acorn squash is extremely versatile. It can be roasted, baked, steamed, sautéed, or even cooked in the microwave.
After it’s roasted, this sunny-colored flesh vegetable is deliciously soft, with a sweet, buttery, nutty flavor. It tastes similar to a sweet potato and is my new favorite winter vegetable! Roasted Honey Cinnamon Acorn Squash with yummy blue cheese crumbles, fresh green onions and savory smoked almonds will change your “side vegetable” life. You get that lovely mellow roasted flavor with the sweet syrupy honey and the creamy blue cheese that just melts in your mouth. Then, you have the fantastic crunch of the raw green onions and the smoky chopped almonds, which give you the perfect bite!
However, there are many other combinations that you’ll enjoy trying out. I have also served acorn squash with toasted chopped walnuts and tangy brown sugar. And, sometimes I don’t slice it, but rather stuff it with spicy browned sausage, savory bread stuffing and chopped juicy apples or with fresh cremini mushrooms, celery and brown rice. The combinations are endless and I intend to try them all! I can’t tell you how excited I am to find another vegetable that is good for you and ridiculously flavorful. So, please pick up this shy winter squash the next time you head into the produce aisle…you will not be disappointed! And, for the most FANTASTIC dinner combination, please pair this with our Chicken with Marsala Mushroom Sauce…it will make your day!
- 1 Acorn Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 each smoked almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Trim ends off squash and halve from end to end (see picture above).
- Using a spoon, scoop out strings and seeds. Place the halves cut-side down on cutting board and cut 1” slices across its length, creating crescents.
- Place slices in a large bowl and add the olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to cover all the slices evenly.
- Place the slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with cinnamon and honey.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then carefully flip over.
- Bake 10 minutes more until squash is tender and well browned. Remove slices to a serving plate and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles, green onions and smoked almonds.
For another great tasting vegetable side dish, please try our Cheesy Cauliflower Blossom!