Make this easy Pad Thai recipe at home with ground chicken, crisp vegetables and crunchy peanuts in a homemade savory-sweet sauce. It’s the simplest and most delicious recipe ever!
I must admit, when I have a craving for Asian cuisine, Pad Thai immediately comes to mind. Pad Thai is a stir-fried rice noodle dish commonly served as street food and at casual local eateries in Thailand. It’s made with soaked dried rice noodles, which are stir-fried with eggs, a protein like chicken or shrimp and lovely fresh vegetables. It’s a great dish to try if you’ve never eaten Thai food before. Why? Because it has magnificent simple ingredients that create dazzling flavor, which makes it quite popular amongst first time eaters. It’s actually listed as number 5 on the World’s 50 Most Delicious Foods reader’s poll complied by CNN.
Pad Thai is such a lightly prepared dish with sizzling aromatic components and a slight spicy-sweet edge, so it’s no wonder everyone loves it. What I adore most about this dish are the fresh vegetables like carrots, bean sprouts, onion, zucchini and red bell peppers, combined with the chewy stir-fried rice noodles in the yummy savory-sweetened sauce. Then, you get the nice crunch of the chopped peanuts and a touch of perfectly balanced herby cilantro. It just tastes so bright and fresh!
Another great feature of the dish is that it requires very little time and effort to put together. A little bit of chopping and stirring, then you’re good to go. It actually comes together in just 30 minutes. The only ingredient that you may not be familiar with is the rice noodle. They’re rice stick noodles, which are pale, translucent, flat and range from very thin to more than a quarter-inch wide. Unlike normal pasta noodles, rice stick noodles are soaked in hot water until they’re tender. They go perfectly with all the other components of the dish.
And, if you’re looking for another great Thai food recipe, please try our 4 Ingredient Red Curry Chicken. It’s another fantastically delicious Asian dish when you need something on the table in a hurry. Thanks for stopping by today and let me know what you think of this scrumptious Pad Thai recipe!
- 4 ounces rice noodles, cooked to package directions and rinsed
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ lb ground chicken, optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, roughly chopped
- ½ cup bean spouts
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- Cook the noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Cut zucchini, red pepper, onion and carrots into long thin strips and set aside.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook the ground chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder, until done (165°F). Set aside in a small bowl. We will use the same pan for the vegetables.
- Add a little more oil to the same pan and put in vegetables. Cook about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Push the veggies to one side and add the beaten egg to the other side of the pan. Cook just until the egg solidifies, but is still moist. Add in the chicken, drained noodles and sauce mixture and stir all together until well mixed. Remove from stove into a large bowl and stir in the peanuts, cilantro and bean sprouts. Enjoy!