This Mocha Morning Breakfast Yogurt parfait is loaded with chocolate whey protein, Greek yogurt, honey, cinnamon, crunchy granola, fresh fruit and a jolt of caffeine to start your day off right!
It’s time to Wake Up with an incredibly delicious Protein Parfait that will knock your socks off! Make it the night ahead for a quick breakfast, or take the yogurt and a bag of granola to work, for a fantastic afternoon “pick me up”.
My son does not like Greek yogurt. I mean, not at all. He doesn’t eat regular yogurt either, but he knows how good yogurt is for you. So, when he challenged me to come up with yogurt that he would like, I was up for the task. I knew it had to be an easy morning yogurt parfait that included crunchy granola and yummy fruit.
Plain Greek yogurt was a little too tangy for my son, and the regular yogurt was too bland and “liquidy”. I decided to start with Greek yogurt and rev it up! So, how is Greek yogurt good for you and better than regular yogurt? First of all, both Greek and regular yogurt, in their plain, nonfat or low-fat forms, are low in calories and packed with calcium and live bacterial cultures (boosts your immune system). But, Greek yogurt is heavily strained to remove liquid whey, lactose and sugar, leaving behind a tangy, creamy product. Plain Greek yogurt has double the protein, half the carbs and half the sodium of the regular variety. It also cuts the sugar content by half.
I decided to make it taste like Mocha, because chocolate and coffee is a wonderful combination. Who doesn’t want to start their day off right with superfood, protein and a jolt of caffeine? Then, layer in some of our Honey Nutty Granola to add a nice crunch and delicious, sweet fruit like strawberries, and you’re ready to go! It’s tasty, nutritious and easy to make; who could ask for more? By the way, I knew it was a huge success when my son ate the Mocha Morning Breakfast Yogurt everyday and was bummed when he realized he was out. Enjoy and Have a Great Morning, Sunshine!
- 2 cups Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 scoops chocolate whey protein isolates, I used Gold Standard ON brand
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup Honey Nutty Granola, save a tiny bit for the top
- 1 cup strawberries and raspberries (or blueberries, bananas, etc.)
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except the granola and fruit.
- To assemble, layer ⅓ cup yogurt in the bottom of a glass. Add a layer of ½ cup fresh fruit, then another ⅓ cup of yogurt, then a layer of ½ cup granola. Finish off with the final ⅓ cup of yogurt, and a sprinkle of granola and a slice of fruit on the very top. Repeat with the other glass.
Please try my son’s other favorite breakfast dishes, like the Skillet Breakfast Pizza, Hawaiian Breakfast Fried Rice or the Manliest Breakfast Burger!