Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich is like everyone’s favorite jalapeño popper appetizer melted between golden, buttery bread with 2 creamy cheeses and crunchy tortilla chips. It’s the grown up version of the classic grilled cheese sandwich!
It is time to kick up your feet, grab your favorite beverage and sink your teeth into an amazingly delicious Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich! So, I watch a lot of “Foodie” Shows on television. I enjoy learning something new in the culinary world and not just sitting on the couch, playing with my phone. Frankly, the only thing I want to “Swipe Right” for is dessert, not dating; hello tall, dark and handsome piece of Chocolate Cake! Anyway, I was watching this one show and there were several food trucks on it. It wasn’t the one with Tyler Florence, although I would “swipe right” for him. But I digress…anyway, this lady owns one of the food trucks and she only sells variations of grilled cheese sandwiches. She has tons of flavors, but the Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich is her Most Popular Sandwich out of all the varieties. And, my friends, that is for a very good reason. You have GOT to try this scrumptiously, mouthwatering sandwich.
First of all, I knew this Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich was something my son would love. He adores spicy things; bring on the jalapenos and all of the other spicy peppers! As for me, I am not a big “heat” fan when it comes to food. However, the one thing we do agree upon is jalapeno poppers! The flavor is so yummy! So when it comes to this lovely lunch meal, you have this amazingly golden, crispy sandwich with melty, gooey cheeses and lip-smacking roasted jalapenos. And, thanks to the creamy cheeses, it really smooths out the fiery peppery flavor.
Plus, aside from the cool cream cheese, zesty pepper jack and tasty charred jalapenos (without the seeds for me), you also have crisp tortilla chips to round out that nice crunchy “pop” of flavor. It is the perfect vegetarian lunch that the whole family can get behind. So, the next time you have grilled cheese on your mind, take a leap and “swipe right” for this delectable Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich alternative! Seconds anyone?
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 6 tortilla chips, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Place the jalapeno peppers on a small baking sheet and bake until the skins are completely wrinkled and charred, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in a plastic baggie and seal. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Remove the peppers from the baggie and rub the loosened skin off of the jalapeños. Slice the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the ribs and seeds (or leave in for more spice). Slice peppers thinly and set aside.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. Place the bread slices on a cutting board and use a basting brush to spread the slices of bread with 1 tablespoon of melted butter on one side of each slice of bread. Turn the bread over and spread cream cheese on 2 slices and place 2 slices of pepper jack cheese on the other bread slices (see diagram above). Place the jalapeno peppers and tortilla chips on top of each cream cheese slice. Then, top with the other side of bread that has the cheese on it (butter sides should be on the outside of the 2 sandwiches).
- Place bread buttered side down in the skillet over medium heat. Cover with a lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Reduce the heat to medium-low and flip the sandwich to the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasty golden and the cheese has melted. The second side will cook faster than the first so watch carefully. Enjoy!
And for other tasty sandwiches, please try our Best Ever Tuna Salad Sandwich, Parmesan crusted Grilled Cheese Sticks, Rustic Ribeye on Ciabatta or Best Bacon Caprese Sandwich to name a few!