Try a new twist on an old favorite with our grilled Hot Dogs with Pineapple Bacon Chipotle Slaw. An extraordinary combination of sweet, smoky, cool and crunchy, that blends deliciously together! Welcome Summer BBQs!
Hot Dog it’s the Fourth of July (had to do it). There’s nothing better than family and friends getting together to celebrate Independence Day and throwing a couple hot dogs on the barbeque.
The best part about serving frankfurters is it’s very economical for a big group of people. Plus, you can serve them plain for the kiddies or dress them up like we did with Pineapple Bacon Chipotle Slaw! Now this is something to Relish (I promise I’ll stop).
This lonely little grilled dog instantly becomes a weiner winner (couldn’t resist) with this amazing topper. Aside from the cool slaw, you get some heat and smokiness from the chipotle sauce, saltiness from the bacon and sweet tang from the pineapple. Ooh Weee is it good! Add some fresh red onions, red & yellow bell peppers, or whatever else you have an anchoring for.
To compliment these fantastic Hot Dogs with Pineapple Bacon Chipotle Slaw, serve some Hawaiian Potato Mac Salad or Dijon Lemon Pepper Potato Salad and a festive dessert like our Toasted Angel Food Cake with Strawberries or Brownie Fruit Pizza. Now you’re ready for the Party to begin! Let’s be Frank (it’s too easy), it doesn’t get much better than this. Enjoy your Holiday Everyone!
- 1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ red onion, grated
- 1 large carrot, finely shredded
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into pieces
- ¾ cup fresh pineapple, cut in small chunks or canned pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, pureed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Other optional toppings: sliced red onion, red & yellow peppers
- 8 kosher beef hot dogs
- 8 good quality hot dog buns
- Combine the green and red cabbage, onion, carrot, parsley, bacon and pineapple in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chipotle chiles, honey, mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, Dijon mustard, celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper until well combined. Pour the dressing onto the cabbage mixture and toss well. Taste to add salt or vinegar, if needed. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving.
- For the hot dogs: Heat the grill to high. Grill hot dogs until golden brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total. Remove to a plate. Place buns on the grill cut side down and grill until lightly golden brown, about 20 seconds.
- To serve, place hot dogs in the buns and top with coleslaw, red onion and peppers.
Check out these FANTASTIC Summer Recipes, Decorations and Entertaining Ideas!