Honey Nutty Granola is an easy, one bowl mixture of 2 kinds of nuts, sweet brown sugar and crunchy, toasty oats…plus one additional ingredient for extra health benefits!
Happy New Year Everyone! I always seem to have the same New Year’s Resolution…get in shape! But after a few weeks, I tend to start rationalizing…
Chocolate Comes from Cocoa.
Which is a Tree.
That makes it a Plant.
Chocolate is Salad.
But, I do try and give it a go anyway. Each year I start out eating healthy, and one of my favorite things to make is Honey Nutty Granola. I make a pan of it over the weekend, and then I have an easy snack all week. It is simple to make, lightly sweet, slightly crunchy and totally delicious. This nutty granola is fabulously healthy and full of toasty goodness. I do add one ingredient that you don’t see in usual granola recipes. I like to add it because it helps with inflammation and is a powerful antioxidant. It is the spice turmeric and it has many more health benefits. There is a great article on the amazing properties of turmeric here, if you are interested. All I know is that it has really helped me.
Now, back to this flavorful, yummy granola. Honey Nutty Granola is not only economical, but also very versatile. There are so many ways to use it. So, just how many ways you ask? Well, first of all, I love to sprinkle it over yogurt and fresh fruit. It is the perfect start to the day. It also makes a great pick-me-up snack for a slow afternoon. Another great idea is our Fruity Granola Bars for Kids, if you want something a little sweeter, that your children will love. Granola is also a great topping for ice cream or pudding. I have also been known to sprinkle it over warmed up fruit for a quick fruit crisp or on a baked apple. Or, how about adding more dried fruit and some M&M’s for a nice trail mix. You can also use this granola to make delicious cookies, or a fantastic scone. I even hear some people eat granola alone (imagine!! Ha ha) or with warm milk, or add it to smoothies. I have even seen granola on the top of cupcakes or even salads. Salad, that reminds me…time for a chocolate break. Ohhhh, maybe I’ll drizzle a little chocolate on my granola. Now that’s what I call the best of both worlds!
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup roasted natural macadamia nuts, slightly chopped
- 1½ cups dry toasted almonds, slightly chopped
- 1½ cups flaked coconut
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cups golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, macadamias, almonds and coconut.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter, olive oil, honey, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine, until the brown sugar is dissolved. Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture; stir until everything is well coated.
- Spread the granola on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once about halfway through. Bake until golden brown and well toasted. After removing the pan from the oven, let granola sit on the baking sheet for 15 minutes. Transfer granola to a large bowl and stir in the golden raisins. Enjoy!
For other great breakfast ideas, please try our Good For U Blueberry Orange Muffins!