Hawaiian Potato Mac Salad brings a taste of the Islands home. A fresh, velvety and uniquely different take on a familiar family favorite!
I will never forget the magical family vacation that I went on with my family to Hawaii.
I could not have been more excited. If you have ever been to one of the islands in Hawaii, you know what I am talking about. If you haven’t, you need to put it on your Bucket List. It truly is Paradise! It is a gorgeous tropical wonderland with lush, verdant foliage, cascading waterfalls, and picturesque mountainous peaks. But there’s much more to this scenic island than palm trees and sunsets, they also make an incredible Hawaiian Potato Mac Salad.
A typical noontime meal for Hawaiians served at roadside stands, drive-ins, and hole-in-the-wall restaurants all over the state is their Hawaiian plate lunch. It typically includes BBQ chicken or beef with scoops of white rice and this amazing combination of potato and macaroni salad. I had never tasted anything quite like it. What makes it different from regular potato salad is that it has pasta in it, a little sugar and it usually has peas. I am telling you everyone flips for this unique and different salad. I can’t tell you how many countless holiday parties, picnics, family potlucks and birthday parties I have brought this Hawaiian Potato Mac Salad to, and everyone always wants the recipe. Sometimes I make it with elbow macaroni, but I usually like to use the small fettuccini noodle because it isn’t as overpowering. So why not get the Aloha Spirit going in your home and try a batch of this yummy, creamy, enticing Hawaiian comfort food. It’s the next best thing to being there!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup thin fettuccini pasta, cooked and diced (about a ¼ of a 16 oz box)
- 3 pounds small golden potatoes
- ½ cup celery, shredded
- ½ cup red onion, shredded
- 5 sweet gherkin pickles, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ cup frozen peas
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, both mustards, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, lemon pepper, pickle juice, vinegar, brown sugar, hard boiled eggs and green onions. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the pasta package. Then rinse with cold water and set aside to allow to fully cool. Dice it up into bite size pieces.
- Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, and then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Allow the potatoes to steam for 15 minutes.
- Cut the warm potatoes in quarters and add them to the large bowl of dressing. Add the celery, red onions, pickles and carrots then stir to combine. Gently stir in the frozen peas, then cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Aloha!
Check out these FANTASTIC Summer Recipes, Decorations and Entertaining Ideas!