Crispy Baked Parmesan Garlic Edamame is an absolutely delicious high-protein and healthy snack. It takes only a few minutes to prepare and is the ultimate in comfort food munchies!
I remember (many years ago) the first time I ever tried edamame in a Japanese restaurant. The server highly recommended them as an appetizer and I was game for something new. Minutes later, these pea pod looking things were delivered and thank goodness I noticed a nearby table popping out the beans, otherwise I would have probably eaten them whole, like a green bean. I took the first bite and WOW! These little guys were really delicious! They’re addictively sweet and so full of flavor for such a little legume. I had to find out more!
Turns out soybeans are one of the world’s most popular and versatile food crops. Edamame is a tasty, nutritious legume that’s an excellent low-calorie snack option. It’s high in protein (12% protein, which is decent for a plant food), is naturally gluten-free, contains no cholesterol and is an excellent source of protein, fiber, a touch of smart fat, iron and calcium. Man oh Man, I need to eat these legumes a lot more often!
So, aside from being healthy, they’re also very delicious. These Crispy Baked Parmesan Garlic Edamame beans are perfect for any occasion and they’re super easy to make, too. You just toss together a couple of ingredients and pop them in the oven. There are actually many ways to cook these plump green legumes; you can steam, boil, bake and microwave them, to name but a few. However, my favorite way to eat them is baked. They get slightly crunchy and the sweetness is intensified. Add in the salty, seasoned, Parmesan cheese component and it makes the perfect snack. Kids will actually pop them in their mouths like candy.
So, the next time you feel like a little something different, that hits the crunchy, sweet & salty snack craving, think of these little Crispy Baked Parmesan Garlic Edamame darlings and get ready for the compliments!
- 1 (12 oz) package frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili lime seasoning (I get this at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium size bowl, toss the edamame with the garlic olive oil to coat completely. In a separate small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and chili lime seasoning with the salt and pepper. Add the Parmesan mixture to the edamame mixture and toss.
- Spread the edamame on a rimmed baking sheet and bake about 10 to15 minutes, turning once halfway through, until the cheese begins to brown. Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
For other great snacks, please try our Spring Pudding Chex Mix, Sweet and Savory Party Mix and Sweet and Spicy Pumpkins Seeds to name a few!