Crazy Chorizo Queso Dip is delicious spicy sausage and creamy cheddar and jack, mixed with zesty vegetables that will get your guests up and out of their seats!
What is it about cheese? Whether it is rich, creamy, grainy, buttery or silky; I adore cheese. There are over 1750 specialty cheeses from 74 countries. I have a long way to go since I have only tried about 24! I particularly crave it when it’s warmed up and you add some spicy chorizo sausage to it. I mean, zesty hot sharp cheddar and jack, what’s not to love?
This creamy, flavorful Crazy Queso Dip infused with green chilies and subtle spices is deliciously addictive. It is the perfect appetizer for watching football, or The Bachelor. It has distinct Mexican flavors with a little cayenne and cumin, and goes perfectly with the spicy, aromatic chorizo sausage. It makes the best nachos, in case you need to serve a larger crowd all at once. Or, just pour it into a crock-pot, put some chips and crackers next to it, and this hot dip will be gone in no time. So please give this hearty, comforting dip a try. All of your fans will really appreciate it! Wait a second, now that I have moved across country, I think I am within proximity to cheese curds! Sampling cheese #25 here we come!
- 10 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 oz jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz chorizo sausage, bulk or links with casings removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- ⅛ cup cream cheese
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 Serrano pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Shred the cheddar cheese and jack cheese and set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté the chorizo in a large skillet over medium high heat until it is cooked through and crispy. While it cooks, use your spoon to break up the sausage into little bits, stirring constantly.
- Scoop the sausage from the skillet and place it on a plate that is lined with a paper towel.
- To the drippings that are still in the skillet, add in the butter. Melt it over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk them together. Let them cook together for two minutes.
- Pour in the evaporated milk, and whisk together. Bring this up to a gentle simmer and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the cream cheese and half of the shredded cheeses. Stir until it has melted all together. Add the other half of the cheese and stir together.
- Add in the diced tomatoes with green chilies and all of the peppers and spices.
- Finally, add in all (except 2 tablespoons) of your cooked chorizo and stir it all together until well blended. Reserve the 2 tablespoons of the chorizo to sprinkle on top as a garnish before serving. Enjoy!
And for another great pre-game appetizer, please try our Best Ever Meatballs or our Cinco de Mayo Mexican Recipe Round Up!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.