These deliciously tender, melt-in-your-mouth Cola Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs are a very easy slow braised recipe for a fabulous everyday family meal! Fantastic for cold weather days!
Mouthwatering Cola Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs are the perfect rich winter meal. Not only is it delicious, but also ridiculously easy to put together. These wonderfully slow braised short ribs can be baked in the oven or slow cooked in a crock-pot. After a few hours, you have the tastiest, melt in your mouth, tender chunks of pull-apart beef. Plus, the sauce is simmered to perfection. The gravy is slightly sweet, but also has an intense, savory beef flavor. It’s comfort food at its best!
These incredible Cola Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs start out with a rub of flavorful seasonings, like garlic powder and cumin. The ribs can marinate in the refrigerator for an hour or overnight. The rub, which also includes a little paprika and cayenne, really adds a nice little kick to the gravy, which is the perfect combination of cola, red wine, spices, onion and beef broth. It truly is an impressive dish that everyone will adore.
Serve these scrumptious, tender beef short ribs with buttered mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable, or serve them over hot cooked noodles, rice or polenta. These Cola Braised Boneless Beef Short Ribs are perfect for all your cold weather days ahead! Your family will absolutely love them!
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 4-inch long pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup red wine (Cabernet, Merlot or Pinot Noir)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups cola (not diet)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, light or dark
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar glace
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, cumin and garlic powder. Rub this mixture over the short ribs and place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add some of the beef short ribs and cook for about 6 minutes, turning to brown all sides (you will have to do this in batches, so you don’t overcrowd the pot). Remove the ribs to a plate and set aside. Add the onions into the pot and stir for 3 minutes. Add the wine and scrape up browned bits. Continue cooking and stirring for 2 more minutes until the wine is reduced by half. Stir in the beef broth, cola, brown sugar, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add in the meat, cover tightly and cook in oven for about 3 hours, until the beef is very tender.
- Remove the beef to a platter and keep warm. Put all of the liquids in a gravy separator or skim to remove excess fat. Put skimmed liquids in a saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar glace and bring to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring, for 5 minutes, until reduced by about one-third.
- Combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the liquids and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve the short ribs with gravy over mashed potatoes, rice, noodles or polenta.
For another fantastic beef dinner, please check out our Beef Stew with Carrot Flowers!