Chunky Turkey 15 Bean Soup is a cozy, delicious, easy and satisfying way to enjoy tons of veggies and chunks of smoked turkey! Your family will love it.
When the weather turns winter cold, I don’t think there is anything more comforting than hot soothing soup. Since this is my first winter on the East Coast and my first experience living in snow, I am very enamored with it. The other day it was 30° outside, so I decided to make some lovely, appetizing Chunky Turkey 15 Bean Soup. I needed to get a few things at the grocery store, so as I was driving down this beautiful 2-lane road with nothing but tall snow laden trees on both sides, a little red fox scampers across my path. Just then, graceful elegant powdery snow flakes were gently dropping from the sapphire sky and it felt like any minute songbirds were going to approach and put my coat on for me. I felt like I was living in a Disney movie.
So far I have been calling the snowfall, “Boutique Snow”, because it only lasts a day or two, and then it’s sunny and blue skies again. Yep, this weather is heaven to me. It is the perfect time to grab my favorite quilt and nestle in with this fantastic Chunky Turkey 15 Bean Soup. It is so chunky with the great smoked sweet turkey meat, 15 different kinds of creamy beans, crunchy carrots, celery, and onions; it just warms your soul. It also fills your home with a mouth-watering savory aroma. It is such a hearty soup that all you really need with it are some biscuits. So bring on the cold winter days, because I am also craving some Hickory Ham and Navy Bean Soup or maybe our Split Pea Soup tonight! Well, it’s off to the grocery store…I can hardly wait to see what crosses my path next.
- 1 (20 oz) bag 15 bean soup dried beans(I used Hurst’s)
- 10 cups water
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 smoked turkey legs or turkey meat, dice the meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place rinsed beans in a large pot with 10 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat, cover and continue boiling 1½ hours. Stir occasionally.
- When the beans only have 10 minutes left to boil, in a sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter and oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic powder, seasoned salt and chili powder. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Pour the vegetables into the bean pot and add the lemon juice, chicken stock and can of diced tomatoes.
- Lower temperature to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- A couple of minutes before cooking is complete add contents of seasoning packet that came with the soup mix and stir all together. Salt and pepper to taste.
Please Check Out our 22 Clever, FUN and Cool Kitchen Gadgets for Foodies that will make the perfect kitchen gifts! Most are priced under $15.