Homemade Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham layered casserole dish contains buttery russet potatoes, savory onions and sweet hickory ham baked in a double jack and cheddar cheese sauce. This quick and easy recipe is a scrumptious, creamy, yummy mixture that’s filled with huge flavor! Perfect for any family dinner!
Who doesn’t love decadent Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham? It features tender, thin slices of creamy potatoes drizzled with cream and layered with hickory ham and 2 kinds of cheeses. This recipe is the perfect way to use up any leftover holiday ham. However, I think it’s the greatest comfort food any time of year!
Our family usually has hickory ham for Christmas and Easter. I just love the salty/sweet goodness of a good smoky ham. But you can only eat so many sandwiches before you are looking for alternatives. Enter old-fashioned classic Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham! This dish is a real crowd-pleaser.
You start with uniformly sliced, silky russet potatoes. I always use a mandoline slicer to cut my potatoes so every potato slice is identical. This makes sure you will have consistent results and everything cooks evenly. Then, you have the seasoned, hot and bubbly, cheddar and jack cheese sauce that’s baked until it’s yummy golden brown. Yes, I must say, this Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham recipe is perfect as a holiday side dish, or delicious anytime as a cozy warm meal on a chilly day. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ cup whole milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (using a mandoline)
- 1½ cups hickory ham, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Butter a baking dish and set side.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and onions and saute until starting to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and whisk together. Cook the onion/flour mixture until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the half-and-half and milk and whisk around, allowing mixture to thicken, another 3 to 4 minutes. When sauce has thickened remove from heat, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and Worcestershire sauce and set aside.
- Place half the sliced potatoes and half the diced ham into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle on half the cheeses then pour on half the sauce from the skillet. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients, ending with a layer of cheese and sauce.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the cheese on top is golden and the sauce is bubbling, an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
For another fantastic recipe using up your leftover ham, please try our Hickory Ham and Navy Bean Soup!