Easy Cheesy Enchilada Casserole takes only 5 ingredients to make this popular one-pan Mexican dinner dish. It’s quick, extremely flavorful, cheesy, vegetarian and sinfully delicious. Kids absolutely love it!
So, my dear friend Bibi came to visit me across country from California. I have known her since I was twelve years old. She knows where ALL the skeletons are buried. We have GOT to keep that lady happy! Anyway, I wanted to do a post with her while she was visiting. That’s right…I put everyone to work here doing this website (I should remember my own advice about keeping her happy…yikes). Well, I wanted her to make a family favorite so we went to the store to pick up her ingredients. Imagine my surprise when she gathers a mere 5 items and says, “Done.” Now this is my kind of dinner!
This delicious Cheesy Enchilada Casserole not only magically appears with minimal ingredients, but can also be on your dinner table in 30 minutes! It doesn’t get any easier than that. Plus I love that you throw the ingredients into one pan…no messy rolling or dirtying several dishes here. And the taste is incredible. You get zesty, flavorful, mild green chiles, savory onions, briny black olives and several yummy cheeses with these enchiladas. They’re creamy, cheesy and perfect for the family on the go!
Unlike my Boom Boom Beef Enchiladas or Cheesy Adobo Enchiladas, this recipe is a layered casserole of Mexican flavors. It makes it easy to serve because you don’t have to follow the tortilla lines once everything has melted together and the portion sizes can be rationed accordingly (OK, I had twice as much as she did…my excuse is I’m keeping her happy and I’m going with that). I truly could not gobble it up fast enough. The flavors melding together are absolutely amazing! This scrumptious Cheesy Enchilada Casserole is now a personal favorite of mine because it’s so simple to throw together, there are not a lot of ingredients and it’s a great dish when you don’t have a lot of time! Your family is going to love it! Thanks Bibi and please keep the recipes coming!
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 can (3.8 oz) sliced black olives
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 oz) green chile enchilada sauce
- Garnish with green onions and sour cream, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray an 8x8” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange a third of the tortillas into the bottom of the dish. Spread half of the cubed cheddar cheese, onions and olives over the tortillas. Spoon a third of the green enchilada sauce and a third of the shredded cheese over the top. Repeat procedure with a third of the tortillas and remaining half of the cubed cheese, onions and olives. Spoon another third of the sauce and a third of the shredded cheese over the top. Finish with the remaining tortillas, sauce and shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes. Top with green onions and sour cream, if desired.
And for other fiestas at your home, please try our Cinco de Mayo Mexican Recipe Round Up, which is 22 of the BEST Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes you’ll find anywhere!