Cheesy Chicken and Rice Taco Casserole is a quick and easy recipe that uses ground chicken but has all of your favorite taco fixings. A real crowd-pleaser!
With the weather getting a little cooler I was in the mood for a yummy casserole, kind of like the ones I used to make for my parents. Maybe something with ground chicken sounds good, but with Mexican spices. Introducing Cheesy Chicken and Rice Taco Casserole.
My brother Scott and I would love to cook dinner for our parents. We would create the menu, cook the meal, decorate and set the table (complete with a hand printed menu at each place setting), and then we would entertain after dessert. Yep, we had a joke book, and we would put on little skits for them. Don’t you just love caring captive audiences. Oh my gosh, I am laughing right now thinking about those dinners!
Anyway, I wanted something easy to put together. A crowd-pleasing dish that is quick and simple, but with all your favorite taco fixings. This Cheesy Chicken and Rice Taco Casserole has fantastic zesty flavor from the taco seasoning and the mild green chiles. Plus, it can be on the table in less than an hour. Now that’s quick! You never know when I might need the extra time to put a skit together for after dessert.
- 1 package (5.6 oz.) Knorr Fiesta Sides Spanish Rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 packet (1.25 oz.) Ortega taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 package (4 oz.) cream cheese
- 2 cups slightly chopped tortilla chips, plus a few more for the top
- 1 can (15 oz.) Bush’s Seasoned Recipe black beans, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (plus a ½ cup more for the top)
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese, grated
- 1 can (2.25 oz.) black sliced ripe olives
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Dollop of sour cream, if desired
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Make the Knorr Fiesta Sides Spanish Rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil and lightly brown the ground chicken. Add the taco seasoning mix, green chiles, tomato sauce, chicken stock, salsa and cream cheese. Mix well and let the mixture cook for 10 minutes on low.
- In a greased casserole dish, layer half of the crushed tortilla chips, half of the black beans, half the rice, half the chicken mixture, finally add half of the cheese. Repeat each layer again starting with the crushed tortilla chips. On the top put a little more cheese and add a few more crushed chips, plus the olives and green onions.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until it is bubbling on the edges and the cheese is melted. Take out of the oven and sprinkle with chopped tomatoes, avocado, a dollop of sour cream and cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
This dish goes great with our Mexican Caesar Salad or anything on our Cinco de Mayo Mexican Recipe Round Up!