Can’t Wait Microwave Lava Cake is ready in only 7 minutes and uses cake mix and prepared frosting in the can. It is the BEST microwave cake (with fudgy lava center) you’ll ever try! Get ready for this quick, easy and delicious dessert to blow your mind!
My lovely friends Anita and John were driving through Virginia on their way home last week and we all got together for a wonderful lunch. They are the cutest couple and I just adore getting together with them!
Anita is a Pampered Chef Consultant and always has the BEST recipes! Well, instead of me asking Anita about any new and spectacular recipes that she might have right now, her husband John could not stop raving about this incredibly quick (and tasty) dessert she had made for him the other night.
John told me this mind-blowing Can’t Wait Microwave Lava Cake dessert was ready in only 7 minutes (he didn’t have to wait long to satisfy his sweet tooth that night). He really thought it was the moistest, fudgiest, most marvelous cake. I was absolutely amazed!
So, basically you prepare any cake mix box recipe according to their instructions, add some chocolate chips and nuts, and then pour half of the batter in a microwave safe glass bowl. That’s when it gets really crazy. Anita told me to dollop on some canned frosting and spread it in the middle. WHAT??!!! Are you serious? I have never heard of such a thing. After that, you pour on the rest of the batter and bake it in the microwave for 7 minutes. And, miracles of miracles, out comes this incredibly warm, rich and decadent (lava interior) moist cake. You have got to be kidding me…I have to try this recipe!
Well, I decided to try making it in several small individual serving ramekins instead of one big bowl and see how that worked. It was a total success! This way everyone can have his or her own little dessert (I have trouble sharing chocolate, ha-ha).
I used Spice cake mix for this Can’t Wait Microwave Lava Cake recipe with semi-sweet chocolate chips and chocolate frosting, and it was unbelievably scrumptious. This is one impressively easy, quick and exciting dessert. However, you can use whatever flavors you like. Consider the possibilities…Red Velvet cake mix with dark chocolate chips and cream cheese frosting, or Lemon cake mix with white chocolate chips and lemon supreme frosting, or Fudge marble cake mix with milk chocolate chips and Creamy Salted Caramel Frosting or Vanilla cake mix with peanut butter chips and dark chocolate frosting to name a few options. Whichever combination you choose, I promise it will be an “instant” hit with your family! Enjoy!
- 1 cake mix (moist or pudding cakes work best)
- 1 cup water (or whatever package directions say)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips to compliment your cake mix
- 1 can prepared frosting that compliments your cake mix (no whipped frostings)
- Powdered sugar, optional for the top
- 4 individual microwavable 5" ramekins or 1 microwavable glass bowl
- Prepare your microwave safe bowl or ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the dry cake mix, water, oil and eggs on low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Pour half of the batter into a microwave safe bowl, dish or ramekins.
- Spoon the prepared frosting around the top of the cake batter and spread evenly. Then, pour the rest of the cake batter on top.
- Microwave for 7 minutes (if in one bowl) or 3 to 4 minutes for smaller ramekins, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Take out and let rest for several minutes.
- Top the ramekins with powdered sugar, if desired. Or, invert the glass bowl cake onto a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
ALSO...try this with a cup of Golden Yunnan adagio tea...it's AMAZING!
For other fantastic desserts, please try our Spiced Apple Pecan Pudding Cake, Strawberry Confetti Cake or Reese’s Brownie Pops to name a few!