All the goodness of an Italian Calzone, without any of the fuss. Biscuit Calzone is the perfect small bite, filled with layers of mind-blowing pizza cheesy toppings. A yummy, easy supper the whole family will enjoy making!
I love calzones as much as the next guy gal, but sometimes I don’t want to go to all of the trouble putting them together with raw dough. So, here’s a question for you, am I the only one who has trouble getting the dough thin enough? You keep kneading and rolling, but it’s so darn elastic, it keeps rolling back up…completely taunting me, over and over! My carpal tunnel just can’t take it. Plus, the dough is very sticky and it all just seems like a complete mess.
I honestly tried to roll these little yeast dough rolls out for individual handheld calzones, but they just weren’t cooperating. So much so, that it didn’t even make the cut for viewing purposes. It was an epic fail on my part. I thought about calling the look “Rustic”, but that was even a stretch. It reminded me of this scenario…
So, instead of going through all that nonsense again, I decided to use frozen yeast dinner rolls, let them thaw out, and bake them according to package directions. It’s so simple to just set out the little rolls to rise at lunchtime and then bake them for dinner. Or, take them out of the freezer in the morning for an Italian picnic lunch at home! Making these yummy hot yeast rolls (as is) in the oven and then layering them afterwards with fantastic calzone ingredients, was definitely easier.
And don’t get me started on the taste! I absolutely love these scrumptious Biscuit Calzone hot roll bites! First of all, you taste the fresh “out of the oven” airy little bun, and then you get the wonderfully rich marinara-sausage-onion mixture and zesty pepperoni, followed with the delightful cheesy mozzarella/ricotta combination. It’s not only delicious but it’s also much easier to put together! And, everyone can get in on the fun.
What’s perfect about these personalized calzones is that everyone can put whatever they want in each of them, to suit their taste. I just set out the bowls of marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, ricotta sauce, zesty pepperoni slices and sausage onion mixture, and let everyone stuff their own roll. It’s fun, delectable and interactive…who can ask for more? Seconds, anyone?
- 16 whole frozen, unrisen yeast dinner rolls (I used Rhodes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ cup marinara sauce, your favorite brand, divided
- 1 (15 oz) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, grated, divided
- ¼ cup romano cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup pepperoni slices, fully cooked
- Place frozen rolls on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to thaw. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let thaw/rise for 3-5 hours (according to package directions).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap or towel, and bake the rolls for 15 minutes (according to package directions). Set aside on a plate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and onion. Cook for 2 minutes and add sausage. Cook until brown, breaking up the sausage as you stir occasionally. Stir in the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes and ½ cup marinara sauce (pour the rest into a bowl and heat for one minute in the microwave). Heat up the meat mixture for a couple of minutes and set aside in a bowl.
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, ¾ cup mozzarella cheese (set the rest aside in a small bowl), romano cheese, 2 eggs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and stir. Microwave another 2 minutes or until completely heated through. Stir in the parsley and set aside.
- To serve, place the rolls on a plate (slice in half) and serve with bowls of sausage mixture, ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce and pepperoni slices. Layer as you please and enjoy!
For other fantastic Italian recipes, please try our Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, Lazy Girls Cheesy Stuffed Shells or Mama’s Meaty Manicotti, to name a few!