This Best Bacon Caprese Sandwich combines two of my favorite lunches: the classic BLT and the Caprese Salad. Fresh mozzarella, basil garlic aioli, juicy tomatoes and a crispy bacon weave on top of hearty ciabatta bread, makes this summer sandwich a winner!
I love a classic Caprese Salad, but sometimes my son, Brandon, needs a little more substance…. and by substance, I mean BACON! Boys will be boys! Ok, to be perfectly honest, it sounded AMAZING to me too. Bacon just makes everything better.
And, this Best Bacon Caprese Sandwich is no exception. Everyone particularly enjoys this sandwich because of the bacon weave on top. I got tired of bacon strips falling out while eating the sandwich, so I decided to make this version instead. Bacon woven together like a placement is so easy to prepare and makes it SO much better, because it stays in place. This way you get the salty, crispy, yumminess in every mouthful.
The perfect time to enjoy this double decker is during the summertime when juicy, homegrown, heirloom tomatoes and basil are in season. With the velvety fresh mozzarella, this super-sized combination of flavors freshens up every bite. It personifies summer!
And, aside from the bacon, the Basil Garlic Aioli sauce takes this classic Caprese from good to GREAT! It’s so easy to fix, but makes all the difference in the world. It combines fragrant garlic, fresh lemon and silky smooth mayonnaise with fresh herby basil, and it is exceptional! You will never want just regular mayonnaise ever again. OK, I am getting hungry just thinking about this astounding Best Bacon Caprese Sandwich, so I’m off to make myself one right now. Wish you were here to join me! Welcome Summer!
- Basil Garlic Aioli:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 7 slices Bacon,halved
- 2 Ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
- 1 tomato, sliced (heirloom if available)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Basil Garlic Aioli Sauce from above
- To make Basil Garlic Aioli Sauce: Mix all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make Bacon Weave: Preheat oven to 375°F and place a baking rack inside of a baking sheet (this will catch the grease). If you don’t have a baking rack, line the baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Start by placing 3 bacon halves side-by-side on the pan (I made 2 weaves above in the picture-so I used 6 pieces total for this step). Then interlace the strips of bacon as one would a lattice top for a pie. You weave under and over to form a square (copy picture above). I used 4 pieces of bacon going the opposite direction, but you can use 3 if you prefer. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your bacon. Lift off of pan with a spatula onto paper towels.
- To assemble Sandwich: On your toasted Ciabatta rolls, spread the Basil Garlic Aioli on each half to your liking and layer the tomato slices, mozzarella slices and bacon weave on top. Enjoy!
For other fantastic sandwiches, please try our Grilled Cheese Sticks!